Saturday, March 21, 2009

Yippie, it has arrived!


Yahoo!, my quarter case of wood type arrived today! After much anticipation, I was delighted to find it on my door step this afternoon -- isn't it wonderful!

Some of you may be asking... "sure that is nice, but what are you going to do with it?"

Well, that is a good question... a few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to attend a Proofing Press class hosted by the Books Arts Program at the University of Utah. I was instantly drooling upon walking into the classrooms, with over a dozen letterpresses, and several cabinets full of type, I knew I was in for a real treat.

For those who are not familiar with proofing presses, they are the "machines" (for lack of a better word), that are used to set-up a letterpress job, before they are put on the actual press. They would use the proofing press to run "proofs" of the job, to make sure everything looked perfect -- from verifying spelling to making sure each letter was is perfect condition.

I had the opportunity to play around with the proofing presses that weekend, and instantly fell in love. That weekend, I hopped on to Ebay and found the lovely collection above. I actually don't have a proofing press, but I am keeping a lookout.

I am also so excited to take a letterpress class this summer! After owning my little letterpress for a few years, I was so happy to have stumbled upon the Book Arts Program at the U of U -- I will finally be able to accomplish my dream of adding a letterpress line of stationery to Isabell's Umbrella.

If anyone out there, happens to know anyone who is looking for a new home for their letterpress equipment, I would love to know their name -- I am sure this is going to turn out to be quite an addiction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I hope it proves to be a rewarding and not too expensive addiction...mine are all very expensive. Love you!